Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Common Cold

I wrote this a couple of weeks ago..just forgot to actually post it!


Well, as luck would have it, this is my 2nd cold in 3 weeks! I hate having a cold, SO annoying and it seems to drag out for so long. Well, I was researching "cures for the common cold" to try and find some relief. I came upon some interesting things that I didn't know.

1) Being "cold" doesn't actually cause a cold. Not wearing jacket when it's chilly out or sleeping in a draft do not cause colds. The actual cause are rhinoviruses that are invisible droplets in the air that we breathe in, or on surfaces that we touch.

2) Colds are most contagious during the 2 to 4 days after symptoms appear, but can be contagious up to 3 WEEKS (even when there are no symptoms!)

3) Medicine can't cure the common cold. They can relieve some symptoms, but they can't actually CURE the cold.

4) Chicken soup contains a mucus-thinning amino acid called cysteine, and some research shows that chicken soup helps control congestion-causing white cells, called neutrophils.

No comments: